Thursday, October 8, 2009

Nancy, we need someone to call the Corners....

This years Lammas marked my 15th year practicing Witchcraft.

This was in 1994, and I was nine years old.

Typing that sends my mind on a spin, because just what in the hell was a 9 year old doing secretly checking out occult books at the library and doing rituals by Ed Fitch in his bedroom at night?

Just doing what, to me, seemed perfectly natural and right.

Having parents who were disinteresed non-Catholics by the time I came around, there really wasn't a religious presence in our home. I went to Mass a few times, and had a statue of St. Barbara on my bookshelf, but that was it. I was never given religious instruction of any sort.

So, in truth, the Craft is the only religion I have ever known.

I quite comfortably found a "pattern" after several years of study. I somehow missed the Cunningham and the Ravenwolf, happily devouring Buckland and the Farrars and Valiente and Adler and such.

So without the benefit of coven training, or an established tradition with elders and years of experience, I took what the Farrar's presented as an "Alexandrian Model" and ran with it.

And I put "Alexandrian Model" in quotes, because nothing irks me more than people claiming themselves heirs to a traditions knowledge without benefit of initiation and legitimate study.

*grumbles*

Earlier this year, it became pretty clear to me that I had gone as far as I could as a solitary/quasi-eclectic, and that Coven-based Witchcraft was something I needed to consider, and perhaps seek out.

So I've put myself out on the usual channels, and the local network seems to have dramatically shrunk in the past few weeks. One group seems to have disappeared, and the other local groups aren't advertising, because of pressure from the local Southern Baptist community.

One group only takes members of certain Elements. Which I assume means they want a certain balance of sun-sign elemental balance, which makes the lines from The Craft start running through my head.

"She's here. Someone to be the Fourth, she's the one."
"We don't NEED a Fourth!"
"Nancy, we need someone to call the Corners, North South, East, and West."


I guess they have too many Water signs.

The saying "The teacher will appear when the student is ready" is, I hope, something that's going to become truth for me.

9 comments:

  1. St. Barbara's also Athena. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Clue-by-four!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL No problem. I keep a couple of spares around, just in case.

    But if you get a chance, read up on her (specifically noting her military associations and daddy/lightning issues), and some stuff will, y'know, jump out.

    Oh, and don't even get me started on the Fourteen Holy Helpers, of which Barbara is one. I mean, come on, St. Denis? Patron saint of hangovers, with vines growing out of his neck? Why, hello there Dionysus. I don't believe we've been formally introduced.

    And... um, well, shit. Too late. I'm started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I'm already on a tear, check this out. You're totally a Holy Helper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It definitely makes past experiences....kinda fun.

    Here's a story.

    I built an altar to the Athena in 4th grade because I was in some serious scholastic help. Not having any goddess statues, I put my St. Barbara statue there and hoped Athena wouldn't mine.

    Which, is, ya'know, funny. And I got great grades!

    Veles and I are old friends. I'm of Slavic descent on my father's side...and my Granny was terrified of Him. Which meant He and I were Fast Friends! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not having any goddess statues, I put my St. Barbara statue there and hoped Athena wouldn't mine.

    Well there's a happy coincidence for you. :) I've only petitioned Athena once (via St. Barbara), but the response was immediate and efficient, i.e. "Here you go. Are we done? Good. I gotta be somewhere. *poof*"

    You're also one of the two Pagans I've ever met who know of Veles... although come to think of it, she's Slavic, too. Regardless, I decree that you are to ditch Waco post haste and move to Houston. We need more real Witches here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww! Ya know, I've never even been to Houston!

    We were thinking about taking a road-trip to visit The Magick Cauldron...so who, knows.

    Sounds like the Witches of Houston wouldn't like me, much. I'm a troublemaker with no talent for swooning or psychophantary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Cauldron's cool, although there are a number of other out-of-the-way places that are worth a visit. If you do make it down here, just let me know and I'll give you a tour.

    And hey, hardly any of the Houston Pagans like me, so you'll be in good company. ;)

    ReplyDelete

A Spell? On a Witch Blog? Groundbreaking.

Most magical systems recommend practicing some sort of regular psychic or magical hygiene rituals. This might be as complex as taking carefu...