Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Struggle/Practice

Whenever I read about fellow Pagans getting up at 5 am to pray and meditate, something in me revolts.  For one, I keep weird hours, and 5 am usually means bedtime.  And that kind of discipline scares me, because I generally lack it when it comes to forcing myself to do something.

I have famously gone through periods of Circling daily for months at a time, and then going back to integrating small moments of magic worked into the every-day flow of things.  But I prefer when the simple every day moments of magic and gratitude includes starting and ending the day at my altar, lighting candles and incense, and speaking to my Gods.

But after finally giving in and reading Eat, Pray, Love and working again with Thorn Coyle's Evolutionary Witchcraft, I'm scourging my own rear-end to resume daily practice. 

Last night I cleaned and set-up my altar, invoked the Witch-Father and the Lady of the Crossroads, offered them candles and incense.  My witchery tends to be a bit formal, but last night I relaxed and just spoke.  Addressed certain fears, some issues in my life that needed attention, sent out requests on behalf of loved ones, sent blessings to family and friends.

I'm going to spend a few moments each day in this liminal space.  I can't guarantee that the mornings will find me in the mood for it, or that I won't have several cups of coffee while checking my email first, but I'm committing myself to trying.

5 comments:

  1. hey kevin from Dallas here. I know its strange. During the years i was training in the Craft I never had a daily practice. Now years later I do. I guess I didnt realize how important it was for my persoanl practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Veles,

    Both those books have been an important part of my journey, along with Thorn's Kissing The Limitless and Pema Chodron's When Things Fall Apart and Anodea Judith's Wheels of Life have been of a lot of help for me.

    And poetry, poetry of all sorts...

    Hugs,

    Pax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pax, my dear friend!

    I'd also credit you among those Pagans with important things to say about Practice and the journey. You're writing on your own process is absolutely beautiful, and I'm better for having read them.

    Blessings to you, Friend.

    V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veles -- I'm new to your blog and like what I see. I have a n00b type question: Who is the Witch-Father, name-wise, according to your usage? Is he known under different monikers--some probably secret--in various trads, or is there a standard or most common name for him? And if may add a 2nd question: if many names, are there many Witch-Fathers? Thanks, I love a good writer.

    --Hieronimo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hieronimo! Thanks so much!

    I generally use Witch-Father as a reference to the Horned One, who has different names depending on who you ask.

    For me, the God and Goddess of Witchcraft are specific deities, so while the Witch-Father may have similarities to Pan, Cernunnos, Lucifer, and Ardhu, those Gods aren't just other names for Him.

    Hope that answers your question! :)

    Blessings,

    Veles

    ReplyDelete

17 Witchy Questions Tag - Kelden and Veles

We did a thing!