Friday, December 3, 2010

Idolatry

I have always been a lover of Sacred Stuff.  I grew up with it.

My Catholic grandmother had a shrine to the Virgin Mary in her bedroom, where she lit candles and poured offerings of rose water and left sweet pastry at the Blessed Mother's feet.

"Mother's deserve something sweet in the afternoon.  Our work is hard.  A fat Mama is a good Mama" she would say in Czech, both about the Virgin and my mother and aunts.

So naturally when I found myself dancing the Pagan path, I was happy to find that there was Sacred Stuff for us, and admittedly better stuff than the Catholics had.  Real pieces of art, and quality replicas of Old Good Things.  As an enthusiastic young Witch, I bought a lot of statuary from Sacred Source. 

Most of it, I'm sad to say, ended up just being pretty art pieces that lived on a bookshelf.  I only had real devotional practices for a handful of the Goddesses they represented, and the Male faces of the Divine were sadly absent.  Not so much from personal oversight, but there just wasn't a lot of glorious art to be had depicting the various Gods.  I'm glad to see that that's changing.

But I liked having Holy Idols around. 
I eventually gave many of these statues to others who would love them and give Them the proper devotion they deserved.  I retained a small handful that I had poured a lot of personal mana into through worship and ritual.

A Very Important Pair of Deities, whom you might rightly guess to be the Lord and Lady of Witchcraft, remain elusive as far as proper Idols are concerned.  I'm old enough that the first books I read suggested the famous Venus on a Half-shell for the Goddess and a piece of antler for the God. 

And for years I followed suit.  She was later joined by a quite randy statue of Pan, and the two look quite fetching together.  But the disconnect of Aphrodite and Pan standing in for the WitchMother and WitchFather looms large in my mind. 

I've considered more abstract symbols; antlers, shells, a mirror.  But those don't quite carry the weight of an Idol.

I've always loved the Idols, made by a man called Bel Bucca, that sat on Doreen Valiente's altar. 


I'm also completely in love with the work of Mr. Paul Borda, and may have to purchase his Seated God and Goddess statues, which are quite similar to the ones seen above.

Those of you who are Wiccan-identified, how do you represent Them on your altars?  Do you have special items, or as the old books used to say, use "any statuette of a lady and a piece of antlers"?

8 comments:

  1. Hey Veles,

    For years I would just use candles and light one for Him and one for Her in Circle... I've had small little figurines little pocket sized ones of the Winged Goddess and the Mother and a stone for the Crone and a matchbox with a picture of two men which represents (for me anyways) the Two-fold Father...

    For me I go back and forth on this... most of the time it seems silly in my Solitary practice to use anything to represent THEM as they are actively present in the rite. Sometimes I feel like I just haven't found the right statue or image yet; although I like the ones you highlight in this post.

    The Titles for Them that I have taken to using lately help explain some of my views on statuary I think...

    "Holy Mother in Whom we live, move, and have our being,"

    "Holy Father Who lives, moves, and has being within every atom and cell,"

    Since They are always there, it sometimes seems redundant to represent them on a statue... then again I have wandered on and off the path for a few years... it would probably help to get a more regularly devotional relationship with Them...

    Thanks Veles something to engage in some Discursive Meditation about...

    Peace,
    Pax

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am but a humble Muse! ;)

    At the end of the day, everyone seems happy with the arrangement, except for the picky Witch who thinks too much.

    I suppose if They want more, or better, They'll arrange for such to find me, or start hurling thunderbolts my way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now? Candles. The Bel Bucca statues are glorious, but Witchmother shows me a face more like a wise middle-aged woman, and less like a busty 20-something and from some of the up-close photos I've seen of the statue it's more the latter than the former, sadly.

    I did find a pair of small statues online, gods only know who made 'em, and cannot find them again. I did save a copy of the image, they're adorable little "cup in your hands" sort of statues, depicting Her with a cauldron, and Him with a walkingstick. They're part of my inspiration for making my own set (probably taking molds of that set for ceramic casting as well).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I obviously have a love of idols m'self (gestures to living room), but the image I feel most evokes the God and Goddess of the Witches is this.

    Okay, granted, it's a painting of Nut and Geb. But it looks a lot like my Guys to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crap. I broke my own link. Here's the addy I was trying to include:

    http://www.fridaypress.com/Vicki/NutGeb.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooooh! You've shown me that one before. It's totes gorgeous. Would look beautiful in your house someplace.

    I promise we'll come over and help hang it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to use the Cernunnos statue by Neil Simms (picture at the site below)for the Witchfather. I personally love it. There is a companion Goddess statue pictured at the bottom of the page but I can't attest to it because I don't own it.

    http://www.silverhoofs.com/neilsims.htm

    (Note this is not my site, I'm just referencing it for the pics).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Veles, I am Bran Bucca, Bel Buccas son, if you liked his older pieces, you will almost certainly love the newer pieces he has carved, i have created a facebook page to showcase many of these, hope you like them.

    ReplyDelete

A Whole Blog Post Without Swearing!

Hello again! It's nearly October and I haven't posted anything here since early Summer. What else is new? I solemnly swear that my h...