Friday, October 7, 2016

I have a blog?

I'm sorry to the 1/2 of you out there who read this blog. I sometimes find myself thinking "I really wish X would write more often" and then I realize I'm just as guilty. So, hello all 1/2 of you reading this!

On the mundane front I've done a lot of important work at my job in the last year that kept me dedicated to what I was doing when I really just wanted to quit.  Beyond saying that I work in a hospital, I can't say much about my job, but it was an honor to have the assignments I did. In some ways it helped heal some personal issues as well.

In September my dog Draco died. He was sixteen, his health was declining and I knew he would be leaving us soon. He had what looked very much like a heart attack one morning and I thought we were going to lose him then, but he was fine shortly after it was over. Better than fine, really, with lots more energy and a better appetite. On the morning of the Harvest Moon I found him cuddled up in his bed with his blue blanket and favorite toy, gone to the Big Sleep or the Rainbow Bridge or to join the Hounds of Annwn. I catch myself going about our normal routine only to realize there is no one there who needs to go outside or have a meal provided or take medicine. He was cremated and now there's just a tiny box and a plaque with his name on it where a very opinionated chihuahua used to be. I miss him.

I didn't do anything special or formal for Lammas or the Equinox but I have done a lot of Witch related reading this year and I still have a nice stack to get me through the rest of the year. After spending so much time with the wonderful books written by Phillip Heselton, I've been reading Gerald Gardner's novels. Margaret Murray will follow. There's also some "Traditional Witchcraft" material to get through. I worry sometimes that I've crossed that dreaded line into "armchair occultist"territory.

I'm still solitary. There still isn't much in the way of a local Pagan community here, and if there is, they aren't advertising. I pray a lot. I light candles, burn incense and pour out offerings. I try to be as in tune as possible with the patch of land I live on.

I hope October is finding all 1/2 of you well.


3 comments:

  1. My condolences regarding the passing of your canine unit. I'm muddling through a stack of interesting books as well. Happy October. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. I'm so sorry to hear your dog passed. The whole 'starting a routine only to realize it isn't your routine anymore' is the part of death that I struggle the most with. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you had a blessed Samhain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I recall, you're about halfway between Dallas and Houston. I know a guy in Dallas who is *amazing* and I love him and miss him and he's basically the only reason I would ever consider moving to Texas. He's still affiliated with my former group in Washington, I believe. And I think there are Gard groups in both Dallas and Houston...90 minutes either way from half point. That's about what I drive to go to coven activities out here in Indiana. While I wouldn't say it's convenient, I've rather grown to enjoy the drive. I can practice ritual lines, listen to podcasts, think deep thoughts (or not...I'm very superficial). And everyone's very understanding if I need to beg off an occasional meeting because of work. We tend to push meetings to a Saturday or Sunday rather than work exactly on a Sabbat or Esbat date anyway. Everyone's got a M-F 8-4 work schedule and lots of other obligations. It ends up working out far more than it doesn't.

    Oh! And Ed Fitch is in Austin, and I heard he's starting up something. There was even something in a local paper write up. It would be really neat to work with him. His work has been so influential on Gardnerian craft in America.

    Here's a link to that newspaper article: http://reportingtexas.com/out-of-the-shadows-witchcraft-expands-in-austin-and-beyond/

    ReplyDelete