Sunday, May 21, 2017

DFW Pagan Unity Fest - 2017

On the invitation of a friend, and on the strong encouragement of several others, I drove up to Arlington yesterday to attend the DFW Pagan Unity Fest held at the Arlington Unitarian Church.

This was a big deal for me personally because I don't do sunlight and I'm not very social. Thankfully it was cool and cloudy most of the day and I had a really good time.


I spent most of the time in conversation with the people who invited me, so I only managed to make it to the workshop on ancestor magic in the Craft. The stage was easily seen from the vending area so I was able to enjoy the musicians and dancers from my seat, and all were amazing performers. 


Backside view of the vending table of the Coven of the Four Fires


I waited to do any serious shopping until right before I was ready to leave. I didn't want to have to carry around a bunch of stuff, even though I did bring my manbag with me. I wanted to BUY ALL THE THINGS! and I came prepared to do so, but in the end I only did some minimal shopping. 


TAROTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been wanting both decks for my collection for years, and since they were both right there, I just had to. I also fell in love with the agate necklace and that had to come home with me as well. The vendor was Grove and Grotto  which is an amazing shop. Michelle makes a lot of their products in-house and I know that I will be doing a lot of business with them in the future. 

Highlights: The talk on ancestor magic in the Craft was fantastic. The food, provided by Maroches Bakery, was amazing and delicious! There was lots of LGBTQ visibility and support, lots of people of color, and a lot of cultural diversity. Good job, Texas!!! Dr. Susan Harper was vending and we had a fantastic conversation. My big contribution to the event was being "That Guy With The Bug Spray" and I definitely proved myself useful during the ATTACK OF THE FLYING ANTS! Also, everyone at the event was just so darn nice that I think I'll have to do things like this more often!

The Online Pagan Community can sometimes be so toxic and contentious that I think closing the door and tending to my own witchcraft is the best solution. Getting out of the house and interacting with people in person has really helped to remind me that there are really cool people out there in the Pagan community. 





3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for coming! This is Melissa btw. Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming! This is Melissa btw. Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a good time there and felt a rekindled sense of community, alas it not all that my group and I encountered were so welcoming when it was discovered that we weren't Wiccian or Heathen...

    ReplyDelete

17 Witchy Questions Tag - Kelden and Veles

We did a thing!